Architectural Education in University is well recognized, as well as working towards making world class architects and academics. The Course is accredited by RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects) and also evaluated by the Board of Architectural Education of Sri Lankan Institute of Architects Sri Lanka (add accreditations). Being attached to the Department of Architecture, University of Moratuwa the Course is funded by Ministry of Higher Education.
Eduwik Architecture Excellence Awards 2022
First Award | Furniture Design (Concept)
Project Name: Architecture Studio Desk
Project Category: Furniture Design
Studio Name: earchitectstudio
Design Team: Ar Suresh, Edirisooriya.A.T.
Location: rototye for Deartment of Architecture, University of Moratuwa
Photography Credits: N/A
Other Credits: N/A
Though the Department is achieving and striving towards world class Architectural Education, Resources are limited and this opens the innovative use and reuse of furtniutre and materials. Department is carrying out two undergraduate programs; Bachelor of Architecture (Hons.)/ (5 Years Full Time) Bachelor of and Landscape Architecture (Hons.)/ (4 Years Full Time) sharing its resources. 2017-Wing of Architecture was added containing 3 Design Studios where it could relax the spatial constrains had for many long years.
Same Design Studios for courses and all years cater three major functions; as a Design Studio, Lecture Room and even as a Manual Drawing room for Working Drawing classes and for Measured Drawing Classes. Respectively Tables and Chairs for Lectures, Panel Boards for Tutoring, Design Critiques and Drawings boards and T rulers for drafting needs to be provided. Somehow this demands more spaces and capital expenditure which is restricted due limited budget provided.
It is true that for panel boards the walls could be used as a common practice but our Class rooms/ Design Studios welcome cross ventilation and Natural light and ample amount of walls are dedicated for this passive strategy compromising wall areas for panel boards.
“Can a Single Designed Furniture facilitate all three (03) requirements of a Writing Table, Drawing Table and a Panel Board?”
- The solution would enable the maximum use of available spaces and resources.
- Classrooms/ Design Studios would be felt spacious/less congested.
- Sustainable in terms of reducing the use of materials, especially timber, which used for making different Furniture types.
- Classrooms welcome Natural Light and Ventilation as a Passive Strategy to carry out the desired functions
- Classroom inspirations of sustainability and simple design.
- Could be used universally in Architecture Schools.
Materials and Technology.
- Tread Rubber wood, Timber Joinery, Brass Hinges and Brass nails where necessary decided based on the local availability of material and technology.
- Further research on improving the design/ joinery with the Japanese Wood Crafting Technology is one of the key areas to explore in terms of inspiring architecture students of detailing.